Louisiana is Proactive in Mitigating Flood Risk
Water is one of the most defining features of Louisiana’s landscape. Our state’s future depends on managing that landscape and effectively reducing flood risk throughout Louisiana.
Acadiana Planning Commission serves as the fiscal agent and organizing body for watershed management activities in Louisiana Watershed Initiative (LWI) Region 5 which encompasses 16 parishes and four Hydrologic Unit Code (HUC) 8 watersheds: Teche, Vermilion, Mermentau, and Mermentau Headwaters.
APC’s objectives are to improve the watershed and coastal zone management practices in support of sustainable development through a data-driven approach:
- Coordinating a regional floodplain management study and long-term plan
- Understanding and applying design criteria principles that minimize flood impact
- Creating a Regional Floodplain Management Authority
- Developing and implementing water quality programming
- Implementing priority water projects